Thursday, June 2, 2011

Ethics Post #3

Digital rights management is a system made to prevent you from distributing any copyrighted ebooks you buy to others. Digital rights management plays a huge roll when it comes to e readers. Certain e readers have different software and formats that obey digital rights management. For example, the Kindle from Amazon is limited to only purchasing from Amazon. The Amazon format for their e books only allows to view the reading on the Kindle. The Nook from Barnes and Noble is just like Amazon. Barnes and Noble has their own separate ePub, only allowing to view there software on the Kindle. As for all the other generic e readers from Sony, Kobo and others, they work with a certain ePub software, different from Barnes and Noble. This software has standard software that allows all these e readers to use.

Digital rights management was made so titles cannot be transferred to other formats for use of other readers. This is preventing ebooks from being distributed, kind of like sharing music on the Internet. I can understand why DRM was invented, so that the publishing company gets all profits made for their books, just like music artists should get as well if it wasn't for limewire and illegally downloading music. Having a real book and lending it to a friend. Ebooks shouldn't be distributed, and they shouldn't follow the same property rights as books printed on paper.

Overall, I would never purchase an e reader. Even if I was a huge reader and I read a lot, I wouldn't buy one. These e readers are very expensive, because you have to buy it, and then you have to purchase all the books to go along with it. It's not like this invention would be cheaper because the price of the books are still the same as it would be for a real book. These e readers also have the digital rights management, which prevents sharing books for copyrighted reasons. I would find it very annoying and inconvenient if to have an e reader because there are so many, with different software's and formats to prevent sharing books. Overall, I think it would be easier just to carry around a book to read, and a lot cheaper too.

Source 1
Source 2

3 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you said. I like reading from a book rather then online also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, you are right. It's not worth the expense knowing that you will still need to purchase the ebooks as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Typographical errors and you did not address piracy issues at all.

    Credit: 12 points.

    ReplyDelete